Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Worst Summer Ever

I know the title sounds like a crappy MTV show, but that's not my intention. I've been noticing all of my friends posting their pictures from their summer trips to the beach or lakes. Drinking beer and grilling brats with friends. Getting tan, and enjoying the best time of the year in Southern California. Although there isn't really a bad time of year in So Cal, so it's all relative.

I'm sitting here in 120+ degree weather, sweating. I've lost ten to fifteen pounds over the last two months because our food intake has been at a max of two meals a day, and sometimes not even that. We've worked ourselves out of a job after doing such a stellar one for the first six months of this tour. Not really, but that's what our chain of command has to tell us, itself so that we tell you, the American public that they aren't just wasting our time over here. They are.

Today was one of the best days we've had in awhile. I only at twice as usual. But both meals were filled with portions that could put a McDonald's super-size to shame. BIAP, I have been here before. Fat, poor excuses for military personnel walk around unawares of the dangers that myself, and my platoon have faced. It's a sickening feeling to know that they are sitting in their hooch's at night, the Burger King or Pizza Hut still slowedly digesting in their stomachs as they sit at their computer reflecting on how hard they have it because the massage parlor, or salon didn't give them a good rub down or manicure.

It might be hard for you to believe but I'm so very thankful for this summer. It's by far my worst summer ever, and I'm happy for that. Because all of you, who are showing me how wonderful your summer is. How big a fish you caught, or how many beer cans you have stacked up. How your friends really came through, and the weather was just right; all of that is the best it's going to get for you. It's always been that way, it's fun, it's enjoyable. But you can only compare it to last summers trip. One when you were four, or seven. On Dad's shoulders, looking at new sites or new sounds of a mid-summer trip to Yosemite. I now have this miserable experience to reflect upon.

I don't really know what more to write about this. It sucks that I'm here, but next summer will probably be the best I ever have. I can't wait to come home, and stop wasting my time here, but I've accepted that it's only 86 more days and we should be back in North Carolina, unfortunately not in time for summer, but a winter in Cali for leave will be just as good.



Summertime, and the liv'ins shiity. -Me

1 comment:

  1. Again, only those who have experienced extreme misery can truly know supreme happiness! If it makes you feel any better, I think of you often and sometimes feel a little guilty for how easy I have it but you're right, you have so much more to look forward to than the rest of us. Things most likely can only get better for you...for most of the rest of us, the opposite is unfortunately true. Enjoy your time there while it lasts, sounds like an oxymoron, I know but you will probably never have more to look forward to or to strive for. We love you and appreciate what you do for us on a daily basis, keep your chin up, kiddo (haha, sorry, couldn't resist), it will all be over soon and then I will be jealous of you are spending your summers.

    ReplyDelete