Friday, August 28, 2009

A Legend In My Own Wright

I'm not too sure what path I'm going to lead you down during this blog. I'm not even too sure of the destination. But since Inspirado has left me the last few days, I decided it's time to do it on my own, and at least get something on 'paper.'

It's something I've always been curious about, but never curious enough to sit down and take a look. That's where my name came from. Wright. I remembered during my fifth grade year, my sister and I became celebrities at our school, because we had a school presentation about the original 13 colonies. In the presentation was our name, Wright, in a catchy song that connected it to things like ship and wheel. I learned then what my name meant. Kind of.

It's supposed to be someone who makes something. Hrudey here tells me that it's an archaic noun meaning, maker or builder. That it's also old english spelling is wryhta. It's not only English surname but an Irish one as well. Explains the bad teeth and the drinking problem then right? And where that is all very interesting, what does it mean for this lot? aka, me. What am I to do with a name like Wright? What are the precessing expectations on my life now. That I have to do better than the lineage of my name. Especially in the position of life that I'm in now, where a step could be in any direction, up or down, left or wright, what can help me determine what I need to strive to be, at least. Perhaps looking at myself, within myself, and my heritage can help me to determine, at least some basic principals or goals to live by.

When I first think of my own name, Wright, automatically the first famous Wright to pop into my head is two of them. William and Orville Wright, the 'Wright Brothers.' They were of course most known for being 'The First In Flight.' You can of course read this on the license plate of any vehicle in North Carolina, which just so happens to be where I live stateside. Coincidence? The next Wright that comes to mind for me at least, is Frank Lloyd Wright the famous architect. His buildings are distinguished and recognizable. He's even famous enough to have a Simon & Garfunkel song written about him. So Long Frank Lloyd Wright.

Other than those three gentleman, the name Wright isn't very famous, though probably pretty common. The only famous person with the same name as me, Jeffrey Wright, is an actor which you might know, but probably couldn't point him out in a crowd. Even though his name was with the likes of Clooney and Damon in the movie Syriana, you still probably wouldn't know him. Other search results come up with various athletes, mostly English Football players and more architects, toy and video game designers. Upholding the Wright name even in the 21st century.



The search of my last name yielded some scary results however. With famous and infamous people. From 'Lesbian American Murder,' to the famous 'Welsh Cyclist.' Rick Wright, the keyboardist for Pink Floyd is about the only other interesting Wright I could find. The various athletes don't really amount to much, and there are no presidents with the last name Wright. My name apparently is rarely meant for greatness. But in that consideration, what is greatness? What is success? We try and think of these things as great feats of life. Climbing K2, or building an Airplane. Becoming President, or winning an NFL MVP award. Yes, these things are all great, and wonderful successes in life. But don't discredit the feats that we Wright's have done.

The three generations of Wright's I know, and that I'm a descendant of are successful in the game of life. They are hard workers, filled with common sense, and a caring for matters of the world, and neighbor. Let me tell you about the successful Wright's I know, and that I strive to be a little more than the pipe dreams of US Senate. Though that is an option.

My grandpa Elbert Wright probably yields the most respect of anyone else in my life. He was born like me, with a twin sister. Raised in Colorado in a very small house. His growing up through the great depression was very hard, where the only food for his family was rice. A food he got so sick of, he won't even eat it to this day! Even when us grand kids try and trick him, or tease him about it. After joining the Navy in World War II, Grandpa Poop as we affectionately call him, worked for the Los Angeles Unified School District for 35 years before retiring. Raised a family of three boys, to include my dad. His life has been filled with adversity and uncertainty, all which he overcame, perceived and even lived the successful life of a middle class, blue collar American, with a wife of 50+ years of marriage, and the raising of three boys, all successful in their own Wright. Even though a fire traumatically burned down his and my grandmothers house last year, the physical reminders of pictures, paintings, sawdust, and pigs lost all gone, there are still an overwhelming amount of memories of the success' that my grandfather made for himself in his life. His workshop setup or his Raggedy Andy/Ann paintings he painted when he found his artistic side. All in all Grandpa, you've been successful in your life in all but one area... retaining the hair on top of your head! Love you.



The other successful Wright's? For starters my Dad and my Uncles; Dennis, Roger and Brian. My uncles in the second half stretch of their successful careers also in the LAUSD. My dad able to support my brother and us kids while we grew up. And even after we've grown up, helping to send my sister to college. With an Opera-good voice, that he displays about once a year at Los Angeles Lakers games, and a golf handicap of under 10. So other than Dennis, my dad, my sister Jeri a Cal Berkeley graduate this year, and my brother Glenn graduating from the Los Angeles Unified School Police Division, you have the adopted Wright, my mom Edith. The hardest working person I know. She also works in the LAUSD, so I'm thinkin it's in the Wright gene to do so.

My family, the Wright's have are ups and downs like probably anyone elses family has, but the thing that makes a Wright a Wright- LOVE. Our family gets together on every holiday, everyone gets along. We all are friends and support for the other family. We've never allowed any little disagreements to get in the way of our love for one another. It's really a miraculous thing to be a part of. I'm sad that more people don't know the unconditional love we all have for each other. So maybe I'm not going to be the first astronaut to walk on Mars, or the first President to bring world peace. Perhaps I'll just work as a teacher in the LAUSD, supporting a wife and kids through life. But isn't that in itself a great feat of life?

I'm not always correct, but I am always Wright.




MENS SIBI CONSCIA RECTI
The Minds Conscience of its own Rectitude

2 comments:

  1. So, this war involves taking things I've already blogged about and making them your own . . . interesting tactic Wright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, you know it did cross my mind after i had already finished and posted it that you had done something about your name. and even if i had done it entirely on purpose, i do have to admit, i pulled it off a lot better! :)

    ReplyDelete