Saturday, August 8, 2009

Here's To You Chuck










I'm not sure how you do it. How you are able to keep me so entertained. Where do you get all of those random facts? How do you see so far outside of the 'norm'? I've read all of your books, and you really haven't let me down yet. Some were better than others, but they've all been at least entertaining. You who I have no real clue how your last name is pronounced, have been my main inspiration in rediscovering my writing. So if you'll allow me, a boring but thankful account of adoration. Enjoy, Mr. Chuck Palahniuk.

I was too young to have started to read your works when they first appeared. Too young to have even heard of Fight Club and probably your next book too. But after being the mindless drone, robot teenager I was, I found you. Not just luckily. Everyone had seen Fight Club at this point, and I'm not one to go against peer opinion, and so I followed suit. After watching a movie like that, one that really makes you think, you can't but wonder about the book it was based off of. How much was left out? How much didn't I take in.

I didn't have the resources though to buy that book, but my brother had another of your books, and so opening Survivor I became hooked. It wasn't really the story line, or the plot that really hooked me in this book, like the movie Fight Club had. This was more the weird, oddball facts, and weird premise that was the most awe-inspiring. I, up until this point, had read the drollest, clear cut books that had little in the imaginative 'weird.' They limited themselves to somewhat believable, yet fake settings. And the only thing that really catches my eye in any of those, LAUSD approved literature, is some foreshadow or metaphor, simile and alliteration.

But you Chuck, you've done it for me. You've inspired me to not just read the 'mainstream' but to read people like you. Bret Easton Ellis became the first on my list, and after reading a book, by you, Amy Hempel has followed. These are authors much like you, who don't fall into the cut and dry fabrics of the usual writing. And so, as you write, I read. I've been reading your work since you put out Survivor, and am now on your newest to date, Pygmy. This one has really thrown me so far.

Your usual writing leaves me
unable to put the book down in it's place. It has the most interesting facts and opinions, even observations. And though Pygmy, a story about a teenager who has been sent by a foreign country as an operative set to strike the heart of America by disguising him as a foreign exchange student; something in it just seems different. You still have the wonderful spot on observations of America, but the way in which you wrote this book has left me putting it down after only a chapters read. It makes me tired trying to keep up with it.

It's probably most likely the broken way that this book is in. It's a first person perspective from the eyes of 'Operative 67' where English is a secondary language. And though I've already given you credit where it was due in not making your books as boring as the ones I've read in 10th grade English class, you've changed your writing style in this book so much, it's hard to recognize you. It's almost as if you had taught a Russian how to write, and this was their attempt at a book, a fantasy of theirs, trying to knock off your style. And for that I applaud you. But you've done too good a job Chuck. I hope the book has all the hidden meanings, and blatant one's that you always pointed out in your books. But I didn't really follow.

Chuck, I have to thank you though, all of your books have been inspiring and a real pleasure to read. I will never call you a nihilist, and my only real criticism of you, myself, is that I don't really understand your newest book, but 9 out of 10 is good.
Perhaps you'll be the greatest writer. I don't even have to point to your 'Cult' following. And I know this, you certainly are the greatest writer that nearly no one even knows how to pronounce the name of. I can't wait for you to come out with another book, more daring, more disgusting, more brilliant than the last. Here's to you Chuck, the best writer of our time. Hip-hip hooray!


All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring. - Chuck Palahniuk

No comments:

Post a Comment