Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sextilis... It's Latin

I'm coming to find out that August is my favorite month. I'm not really sure where to even point the finger to why. Perhaps it's just a gut feeling. I do know some history about August that really has nothing to do with my decision. That being that it was originally a 29 day month, and was known as the Latin Sextilis. It's name on the Roman calendar before around 10 BC. The change of name was due to of course Augustus, or Julius Caesar's nephew and successor Emperor, formerly known as Octavian. His career took a considerable rise to power through his stunning accomplishments that took place during this time of year. After he felled Alexandria, in the month of Sextilis, he felt he had the right to name the month after himself. Sextilis, now August. Because of his vanity, he decided that 31 days were far better than 29, so he stole two days from February. Although this is some history about the month of August that I've retained since a 7th grade history class, I doubt it's the reason that it's my favorite month. I kind of wish it was still called Sextilis.

August isn't filled with any holiday. Not celebrated by the US, although the 5th, International Beer Day, is celebrated by the world. Unlike Augustus himself, the humility of this month in not having a holiday is kind of an oxymoron. The weather in August is usually not the best, as it's the peak of summer. The hottest month of the year. This does though bring the long afternoons of summer that I, farmers, and surely everyone loves. The heat, and sweat can always be combated with an ice cold beer, or a dip in the pool or perhaps even the Pacific Ocean at none other than Zuma's tower number 7. And though these are something of my not so recent past, I can still reminisce about them, and look forward to them in the future. In fact my last few August's have been absolutely horrible.

A few years back, I was in the most challenging, difficult Army school offered. The attrition rate is staggeringly high during this 24 day suck fest, called SFAS. The Green Beret summer camp. I lost eighteen pounds over the course of those two dozen days. It sucked. The next August wasn't much better, as I spent it in the 'asshole' of America; Fort Polk, Louisiana. Louisiana might not be too bad anywhere else, but an Army base, during the middle of August down there, is certainly a taste of hell. There's two states I will now never go to again unless forced to. Louisiana, and Georgia. Probably Alabama and Mississippi would probably fit that category of undesirables too, but thankfully I've only driven through them, never actually lived in 'em.

This August is certainly no different than the last two. Being in a War Zone, Baghdad, Iraq is probably in fact worse than the previous two August's. It's certainly a lot hotter here, with temperatures that destroy the ones at Camp MacKall, or Fort Polk, which even with humidity only crept up past 120. Whereas by 9 am here, it's already above 120, with it creeping up in the 140's in the direct sunlight by afternoon. Not too mention the roadside bombs and rocket attacks that seem somewhat imminent. But all and all, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were hotter this time of year, circa 1945.

So why the hell do I like August? I guess it dates back to my pre-military life. It's the last month before school starts. It usually leads to a brand new wardrobe. But also leads to a push, to live it up and 'party.' Have fun before a return to the confines, the prison of school. It's that last camping trip of the summer, that one last hooray. It also entails the preseason of football, and the homestretch of baseball. A beginning with his anticipations. An end with drama and magic. Both very exciting, filled with tons of drama along with enough nail biting and and panicking to allow any sports fan excitement and heartbreak.

I think back on those hot days in August, surrounded by friends, drinking a cold beer poured from the keggerator. Playing darts and guitar hero in a house with no air conditioning. The Dodger game on the big screen, just loud enough to hear the crack of a bat, or the pitch of Vin's voice. All of these things have the connotations of a worried free life. One where only fun, unplanned and unknowing adventures can come from.

I remember dancing, underneath strung up lights and the glow of fireworks, to melodic Japanese drum beats in those hot nights of August. Eating sugary baked goods, looking at Bonsai trees. Spending time with friends, and experiencing the cultural that only the Buddhist holiday of Obon can give. I guess all these things, every last one of them remind me what August is all about. It's a powerful month. One I enjoy. Whether with drinking beer with friends or sweating at 'work.' I've seen my funnest time in the Army, during my first August in the service, those 24 days of pain and suffering that I enjoyed every minute of. And I've seen my worst in this most recent one in Iraq. But without seeing the worst, I could I even appreciate the good that I've done in August. It's an ideal I'm beginning to really grasp as a truth of life. You can only gain a deeper sense of self awareness and knowledge through such pain and suffering.

But I don't just like August because it's a powerful month with tons of history. It did see the birth of Napoleon. Even having an International Beer Day is not the reason why. Along the terms of the month history, it was host to a pair of the most prolific and deadliest atrocities to have happened to mankind. But it was also not just a witness to the destructive power, but also played host to the power of peace as it witnessed the end of World War Two, with Japan's surrender to the United States. And even in a diluted, round about, full circle kind of way, something even perhaps ironic, August even witnessed Hawaii becoming the 50th State of the United States. This years after the state had been bombed by the Japanese, bringing on the repercussions of the killing of hundreds of thousands.

I still don't know why I prefer this month to the others, I just do. Why I always look forward to it. And if that's not good enough for you... It might have to do with all the reasons that are above. The only thing I know for sure is, I'm not fond of poppy's or sardonyx, so that's probably not the reason. And it's probably not that I'm somewhat of a Rome history 'buff' either. I guess in the end, I can only truly say that it's my favorite month for one reason, a bullshit one. I hate to end any blog, or any kind of writing with a cop-out, but I really don't know why it's my favorite month. But I can't just leave you, the reader hanging, so here's my cop-out. August is my favorite month because; Every regular or 'common' year (this not including leap years), August starts off with a different day of the week than any other month will start off with. Even in leap years, the only other month to start with the same day is the one August, Augustus stole from. It's kind of like February's retributive revenge. The cold beer, the hot summer nights, these are just attributers, a helping hand to why August is so great. The real reason I love August, is because the 1st of this month, this year was on a Saturday. No other month started, or will start on a Saturday the rest of the year. That's pretty damn unique.

New York.


If you want to visit Paris, the best time to go is during August, when there aren't any French people there. -
Kenneth Stilling

1 comment:

  1. i love that i got your joke about unique new york. that's why you love me.

    ReplyDelete