Saturday, January 29, 2011

Crazy For, Your Touch

Two weeks sober, and I couldn't feel better. Today was an interesting day to say the least. It started off with a me pulling or tearing something in my left shoulder from my morning work-out. It still hurts 19 hours later. Work was it's usual boring, filled with random bullshit to pass the time, and finally a broken promise and a release two hours later than said, but right on time to expected.

I met an old fling at Barnes and Nobel, and she had coffee. I sat and listened to her explain the intricacies of being a southern belle, and for a 29 year old woman with more education and class than I can shake a stick at, I found myself thinking what's wrong with her? why has she not found a man yet. But like the nice people in this world, the wicked had taken advantage of that alleged weakness.

She sat on the other side of the table across from me, but it wasn't in the way. She sat proper and sipped slowly, cutting into me with her hazel eyes, questioning why I hadn't gotten a cup. Her lipstick is what I couldn't take my mind off of. It stained the well she went back to for warmth and she poured out her life's story. I looked around sometime with great concern, that this would surely be a reality tv series. What is a woman like this doing in Fayetteville? This town is a black-hole, it's a horrible place to live. Raleigh is only an hour North, and with her successes why would she stick around here? Why wouldn't she move back to South Carolina with ma and pa?

Needless to say, despite how interesting the conversation was, I made an excuse and left. It wasn't that she wasn't into me, or that I wasn't into her; it actually still doesn't make a whole lot of sense of what came over me, but I didn't want the night to keep going. I drove to my friend Mollee's and picked up a cup of joe on the way, the scent, the lipstick all still on my mind. I arrived at the familiar house to find it as beautifully chaotic as usual.

The dogs were barking from somewhere out of sight, and the cold air exemplified it along with my breath. I approached the door, hearing the laughter of her kids. As I went to knock, the door swung open and one of my favorite sights was inside. The Mills household. Mollee stood there with her beautiful smile and welcoming glow about her as usual. Any trepidations, any worries and concerns, they're all left on the steps just outside her door. I'm home, I'm with family is the connotation I get. The kids greet me with the same excitement I get if I was just there, or if I hadn't been there in years. It warms my heart, and makes me smile.

Mollee's and my friend Jacob was there. The short man certainly makes up for his vertical challenge with a grand personality and elect stature. The whole scene would be overwhelming for some, with dogs barking, running and jumping around. The kids working so hard to gain your first moments attention, as if this will be the only chance they'll have for it. For me though, it's comforting, it's normal, it's amazing and I cherish every opportunity I get to be there. Mollee's friend and neighborhood neighbor stopped by, as we had to celebrate, not only a promotion and a raise, but life in general, that we may be so fortunate to have such good people, such great friends to enrich our lives. The hours go by fast, and even though I feel the need to go home, the want is for the night to never end. I drive home, and think about how fortunate I am to have people like that in my life. People I love, those who I cherish, and those who allow me to be a part of their lives.


...that's what she said?

No comments:

Post a Comment