Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Road Less Traveled

You're at that point where you have that tough decision. The worst part is you know which is the right decision, which makes it that much tougher. It comes down to your free will, mixed in with some discipline, and just a pinch of maturity. As a young lad or lass you almost always make the wrong one regardless. Peer pressure is a bitch. It's the come out and grab a drink or two, when you should be studying. It's the doughnut instead of the salad. It's the two miles instead of the one. It's the, I know this is going to suck for the next year or two, but in the end look where I'll be. As the hands of the clock continue to swing and spin during your life, making these kinds of decisions can get easier. You realize, that making the little sacrifices here and there, the not having fun now, pays it's dividends in full and sometimes double later.

Usually you don't think about it, you brush off your quick on-the-go spontaneous decision to go out with friends instead of stay in, save money, and work on your life over the weekend. It's not hard to do, and the decision is usually made without any regret, and with hidden consequences never to be seen. In today's day in age, especially with the economy as weak as it is, the job market is very, very competitive. A bachelors degree is just a check in the proverbial box nowadays. It seems you have to have that extra something that can separate you from the rest of the flock. The worst part is, we all know what could've separated us from the rest, but usually only see it in hindsight. Those hidden consequences, lost rewards.

I always thought that I should do what I love, and not settle for anything less. I suppose that's still true, but to be able to enjoy doing what you love, you have to earn that. If you love being a shopping bag clerk, and would like to do that your whole life, you probably aren't going to have a very enjoyable one. You'll be working paycheck to paycheck, struggling to pay bills, and not being able to fulfill any other goals or dreams in life. If you can handle all that, and still be happy, then I have to give credit where credit is due, and shake your hand, because that is an amazing way to live and be happy about. It's an unfortunate thing that if you would like to be a part of society, things like money, status and 'worth' have an affect on who you are. We all want to be a part of society in one way or another, from the beggar to the horse riding prince. And there's the one fortunate thing about our society. We're all given the choice, the chance if you will, to pick any job within that society, to earn your status, and gain your own worth. How, in our youths, we waste it.

I look back in hindsight and am sometimes thankful of what I see, for the little clarity in vision I now have. But at the same time I look back on my younger days, and wish I had put together the blocks, listened a little more to my role models and set myself up in a better position than I am. How many times have you looked back on your life, and said 4 years have passed by, there is so much I could've done. I had fun, sure. But those pictures of fun with friends and money spent on vacations or weekend getaways, if I had taken my life, my career, myself more seriously, made more sacrifices and worked harder; well where would I be now? If I had worked harder, gotten better grades, I would have so many more options in life. So many ways to pursue my happiness.

There's a lot I could've accomplished in my life up until this point. There is a lot I have too, but on the resume of what I've done, on the pages of the novel of my life, there isn't anything that really separates me from a lot of other books. Not that I haven't made some of those decisions that take me down the hard road, over the larger mountains, but I haven't made those decisions enough. I earn a little, and my human nature of well-I-deserve-a-vacation or break kicks in, and I reward myself too often. I'm not saying that you have to go on through life without any of it's pleasures, but too often I find at least myself indulging to often. Especially in the foods and exercise departments.

The mountain left to climb.

This time I'm going to make it to the summit. It's hard to say that I'm not going to just get to one of the tallest peaks, look up at the snow covered, cloud surrounded one and say screw it, I'm happy I was able to make it this far. I hope that I have the drive to reach that peak, the top of my potential. We all have it, we just usually never pursue it, or take the easy road to often, not enabling us to make it. 70% of high school graduates go to college now. A high education is no longer for the rich or few. A bachelors degree doesn't separate you anymore. It's not the leg-up you need to be noticed. It's time I put together my pieces, finish my puzzle and get that separation.

Despite my early-on fumbles of life, I've been fortunate enough to recover them and end up with the ball on the goal line ready to score. Considering I have college paid for, in one or more ways, I'm looking at 'starting' life debt free. Ha ha ha. I laugh, cause I will be almost thirty. I have a security clearance that in the civilian world is upwards of $70,000 to get. The one thing that I still need, to separate me from the rest of the other ex-military, college graduates. What am I going to be proud of? When others look at me, look at what I've done or where I've been, what am I going to be able to show them that makes them cock their heads and go 'Wow.' It's that tough road, the non easy decision. The sacrifice, the accomplishments that you do not just for others, but for yourself. The discipline and effort put forth that's going to make it all possible. That's going to separate you from the rest of the field. You might not see or feel the pay off right away, and probably most definitely won't. But four years, ten years from now you'll be sitting pretty, proud of making that hard decision. Proud of yourself. At some point everyone realizes this as they grow up, and yet so few are able to give up the immediate gratifications, give up the fun, work hard and achieve their greatest dreams, and their deepest desires.

See you at the summit.


Accomplishment are addictive -Jason Watkins

No comments:

Post a Comment