Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I'm Hungry, Aren't You?

The month left here in Iraq, seems as staggering as the year once faced. Time is slowing down, or speeding up, and my anticipation for home comfort is exceeding itself. I am hungry. Not that I don't eat three meals a day, or that they aren't filling, but I am missing out on something during each dining session. Taste. The bland food that is military chow is, and probably always will be bland. They probably have made improvements since the dawn of Army chow, but in the end the chow will still never be as good as a high school or hospital cafeterias. The lack of taste, variety and specialization are probably the best of the main contributors.

I know this month is not going to fly by, and I've made things worse on myself by making tentative, nearly concrete plans for when I do come home. It's nearly impossible to not think of home, and I find myself forcing it unwillingly out of my brain before going on to do something important, like release terrorists back into their natural habitat or anarchy. A few weeks ago, our interpreter Bob brought me a pizza, and I blogged about it. The taste of that pizza was near to the taste of one you might find at home. It was delicious to say the least, and continued to show the difference between the truly flavorful food out there, and the same old same old that we eat day in and day out. Army chow. I think they call it chow because it isn't food, only substance. Food is tasty.

Hours of standing on force pro, hungry and parched, you often times find yourself thinking of all the foods, beverages, and establishments you miss. There are probably too many to name, to include dives like McDonald's, but that isn't going to stop you from explaining some of my favorites, and most missed foods.



First and foremost, I must start at where I'm going to be able to eat first upon arriving back at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The south certainly has it's awesome assortment of foods that us Yank's tend not to see. The BBQ is a different animal. Road kill is a cuisine. And the Mexican food has a more Puerto Rican taste than the Mexican food of the west coast. Then again that's probably more of an east coast thing, and not a southern thang. The first restaurant I would love to eat at when back in the fine city of Fayetteville is a little place called The Mash House. It's a micro brewery that features only it's beers, which are very tasty to say the least. The food selection is what you would consider of American choice, with Steaks being the primary option for selection. The atmosphere is somewhat 'posh' but only to the level the south will allow it. It's dimly lit, with a small bar, and huge dining room. They have paper on the tables, and crayons that the waitress' write with, introducing themselves and leaving their graffiti on table top. This will be night one of my return and the robust meal I will have will certainly take it's beating. Perhaps the coolest thing about The Mash House, other than the atmosphere that it can pull you into, is that hint of southern kindness and tradition, as you can get your beer poured into what they call a Growler. This is a 64oz. glass jug of one of the beers on tap, that you can take home, and bring back in to get refills at a discounted price. If that's not southern I don't know what is.


Giddy up!

Steaks and beer are great. Micro breweries and non-chain steak houses are some of my favorite places to go, because they are so unique. North Carolina has it's uniqueness none the less. New Yorkness can also be found. A little north of Fayetteville, you have the triangle area. These are the three cities of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Raleigh is the state capital and has a very professional feeling downtown life. Chapel Hill is the college town, home of the Tarheels of the University of North Carolina. Durham is most popular for the Tim Robbins movie Bull Durham about the AAA baseball farm team the Durham Bulls, who still play in the city. All three cities have a lot to offer as far as food, beverages and night life. Two of my favorite spots, that I am most looking forward to eating at are in Durham and Raleigh, and I cannot wait to be on top of the world at my favorite Micro-Brew-Bar in Chapel Hill. Or should that be Top Of The Hill?


Chic isn't it?

Shiki Sushi is among the pioneers of sushi in the frontier of the south. This is a place that is right down the street from my girlfriend dojo, and has some of the best sushi I have ever eaten. (That's saying a lot coming from a place like California-where the sushi flows like wine) It's hidden and tucked away as a seemingly store front restaurant. Tucked between a barber shop and Baba Ghannouj delicatessen, it's expected to be small. The entrance is barely visible, and the walk between the two gold dragons sitting majestically outside the door makes you feel a bit like a Japanese Atreyu. The inside is absolutely gorgeous, with perfect lighting and the most friendliest hosts. The bar is as stocked as the patrons are stacked, and even with the line forming, you always seem to get a drink on time. The sushi is amazing. It's mouth watering, delectable, and the best part, cheap. It's always buy one get one free so the pocket book doesn't take to big of a bruising. I've been so impressed on several occasions that I make it a lunch stop the next day after the amazing dinner felt from the night before.


Marvelous Spread

Perhaps the next stop is more or less for the atmosphere and perhaps a staging area for a night out rather than the food. The city of Raleigh holds many great wonders, and Oliver Twists Tapas and Martini Bar. The lavish restaurant is filled with a soft lighting, cool jazz, enveloping scarlet drapes and the styling of a Hollywood club exported. The belly dancers are just one of the main attractions, along with a laundry list of the most inventive martini's around. The tapas is good, though the price is steep. The couches and coffee tables allow for a very intimate dining with you and your friends. It's chic, private, and quiet. Perfect.

The last corner of the triangle, is Top of The Hill. This is the destination of choice as far as micro breweries go for me. The top deck overlooking the historic college town strip of Franklin St. in Chapel Hill is just the beginning. The atmosphere is so North Carolina. Everyone has their khaki's blue button ups rolled up at the sleeves, and deck shoes to boot. It's filled with that college hipster atmosphere, but also with the deep seated roots that is North Carolina. The beer is the main draw though, and perhaps the Michael Jordan gargoyle that is slam dunking over the head. With such a broad spectrum of beers to enjoy, from the fruity to the bitter, it's hard to imagine that you could like 'em all, but I certainly do. It's also where I met my girlfriend Gina, and will now always have a special place somewhere in my heart, along with her.


Destiny

160 years later, I will be an 09er on my way out to the gold of California. There are too many places that hold a special place in my heart here, and so I'll stick to what I miss the most, the simple food and brew. The first place on my list, anytime I am in Cali, is Mexican food. It can be a vendor on the street or a friend's mom's wonderful cooking, but bottom line is there is no better place for Mexican food in world. The San Fernando Valley has so many little family owned restaurants, that it's almost hard to choose a favorite. But, with a gun to my head, I pick Graciana's. Or as we know it, the Store Front. This is a little family owned place, that holds it's ground between a laundromat and 97+ discount store. It's holds that special place in my heart, not only because the food is so magnificent, but also because my family has been going there since I was a kid. It's the place my grandparents take us out to eat. From the time my mom would split he Grande Chicken and Rice Burrito with me cause I couldn't finish it, to the present day when I order my own because I can. Even with a couple of Dos Equis gulleted.

It can't be California with a little sushi, my favorite place of all time. Cheap, store front sushi with sake bombs spicy tuna. Love Sushi & Roll, my favorite Santa Clarita hot spot. It's changed drastically since I had last been there, expanding in size, and changing decor. It's always a multi-visit anytime I'm home on leave. Gotta love that Sushi.


Right behind the camera, the beach.

What says California better than Mexican food and Sushi? Burgers and Beer, Beach-side. This is a little drive, but always worth it. Ventura is the quiet little town just an hour north of my house on the 101. It's a beach bum town. It has wonderful food, and two of the best places I have ever eaten. The first is a place called Duke's. It's a burger joint on the beach, that offers some fish and chips and chili bread bowls like any good surfers hangout would. The inside is set up for the beach, including the tables being made from old surfboards. The best there is the Sex Wax Burger. Everything you can imagine, plus some avocado on top for the Sex Wax. It's delicious and ginormous. Nothing goes better with it than a pitcher of beer. Domestic of course.


One of the best visuals in the world

After chowin' down on a Burger or sourdough bread bowl of chili from Duke's a surf sesh is in order. Hours at the beach is the best way to develop and appetite, and if you don't want to repeat the performance of finishing a Duke's burger, you can stop at a little place called Corrales. This is another Mexican joint, and is an outside walk up order window only. The burritos are cheap, big and tasty. Wash down the spicy of shredded chicken and pico de gallo with an ice cold horchata, and you'll never forget the name or location of this wonderful dive. It's obviously a guarded secret for the locals, and there's no wonder why.

The last place, on my list, the Yard House. The food and atmosphere are amazing here. Rock n' Roll with some class is just the tip of the ice berg for a place like this. It's real commodity, the keg room. Over 150 beers on tap at this place make it a win for me. You have so many options to choose from, and the serving comes in a 3 foot tall glass. The first time I ate here was in the San Diego location, and I was certainly impressed. The Los Angeles local opened up, and is a for sure stop at LA Live in downtown next to the Staples Center, before seeing any kind of show or game at the venue.


Look at all those taps! Salad Fingers would be in heaven... Tap!

But what's a visit home without stopping at Chi Chi's? This is my favorite Italian restaurant, and I hate that places like the Olive Garden are considered Italian, and more reveered. Fuck Olive Garden, Chi Chi's is king. The pizza is amazing. The bread roles are sensational, and my favorite is the Beef Ravioli in White Sauce. Damn Paul, you can't do any better. Pizza, pitcher of beer, and some endless noodles, you can't get more American than that Italian slant.


Get the hell away from my Chi Chi's Pizza ASSHOLE!

Ventura, home town and downtown are awesome places, with awesome food and drink. California has amazing food which is so eclectic due to all of the outside influences that are part of the melting pot that is California. Though the restaurants are grand and the food is great, there is nothing that beats a dinner with family. A gathering of my family, with all the wonderful cooks that we have in my Aunts, my mom and everyone else, there is no better place to be. Pouring a glass of my favorite Mondavi, and catching up on conversations missed, memories relived and the warmth and comfort that only family love can bring is perhaps what I'm most looking forward too.


Oh yeah

Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, could you meet me at the airport with a 6 pack of beer, a large pizza and a Lawry's Bowl Cut Prime Rib?

The Beef Bowl Cut---MMMMMMMMMMMMMM


Can't wait for a Wine-Down Sunday...

2 comments:

  1. that was one of my favs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Longest blog ever . . . and now I can't stop thinking about Shiki. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete