Monday, September 3, 2012

Just Me & the World

The nerves are biting, gripping and tearing even at moments. It's that time again. It's the same old, but different, but still the same. This job, the hokie pokie of life, one foot in the cradle, one foot in the grave, is exhilarating for the youth in me, and scary for the grown up in me. Aversion to safety is simply that.

It's what we miss in life that we will ultimately regret. If we can't learn to ignore or turn a blind eye to such things we will be shackled by the chains of self admitted want. I feel as I have for the past few months, stuck on the fence looking at both sides, deciding which grass is greener. There's no doubt in my mind that whichever side I jump on, will have the lushes of ferns. But that doesn't mean that I don't want to drill a hole at waist height so I can peak on how the neighbors are playing. Or better yet, build a gate so I can still swim in their pool.

Football season is starting and again, I'm missing it. It seems that even stateside in the military I miss opening weekend. It's the regret that hurts. The east coast isn't the best coast. Other than the fact that east and best don't rhyme scheme as well as west and best do, it simply lacks something that I can only say in French, je ne se quois.

In the meantime, I'll edit the footage of what I will never forget. Reminiscing a beer is a hobby I relish in practicing. It doesn't lead you into the swamp of regret to the land of wishing what could have been. Hope, a dangerous drug to take in such times, is still palatable, still safe for consumption.

Grit your teeth, discern your eyes and ready your blade. It's mind over matter, and it's a matter of your mind. Earn this as you never have before.


easy like sunday morning

No comments:

Post a Comment