Monday, September 17, 2012

Dusty Brain

The delegation continues in my head with no recess in sight. I'm stuck, perplexed. It's been a tough time away from family and 'home' over the past five years. I guess the hardest part in that is how far I've grown apart from who I used to be, and how people knew me, or how I knew them. My brother is getting married very shortly, and I being the best man of course have to make a speech.

This is difficult. For one, that growing apart and the lack of daily interaction certainly doesn't leave this as easy as my orating skills normally would find it. To my knowledge, there is no etiquette to making a best man speech. It's more than a toast, formal and informal in the same. The other side of this coin, is that I have not attended very many weddings. This is based on the fact that the family I know that has gotten married, I have been off at the great wars or training. And because I don't have many friends who have been married or invited me to wedding. Tear, tear for me.

I've sat, going over story after story. There's a lot to miss in five years time. I think back to when my brother and his fiance met, and though I remember plenty of different times, I don't remember any stories brightly enough to relay in such a manner that would be what I seek; funny and heart warming. During those times I was too young to really remember anything. I have a hard time remembering my favorite teachers names from high school, let alone small details of things that were happening between the two of them.

The common cure for such writers block is a glass of scotch. Currently, an unavailable offer. Looks like I have to figure this one out, down on the upside.

Knowing myself, and pressure... I'm sure to knock this one out of the park.


turning back on me, every thing's easy

No comments:

Post a Comment