Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Chariot Ride of Spring

North Carolina is awakening from her winter slumber, and her first steps of spring are nearly a full stride. Today it rained, but was still warm, and I enjoyed the cool drops on the back of my neck as I went out my daily business. This is the third year I've been her for the oncoming spring, and most likely the last. Seasons are nearly like family to me. We are excited for them to come, but once they've been here awhile, we feel like they've over stayed their welcome, and we can't wait for them to leave. That's how this winter has felt.

Spring excites me, the days longer, and the nights warmer I look forward to the breezes that don't cut you down and turn you bitter. The humidity in North Carolina is about as bad as it gets, unless you travel further south. Spring is perfect because the nights don't stick your clothes to your skin the way her sister Summer does.

So far the time of this year is flying. March 10th and the Ides approach and though I'm happy about the speed at which the calendar turns, I can't help but think to myself that this is it. This is senior year. One more year left, no squandering it, no not doing everything I'm supposed to. It's weird that I've always been able to find a reason to celebrate, but I think on some levels, that's what we do as Americans. We find holiday in whatever we can. As a way to connect with each other, to be with friends and family.

I will celebrate spring this year. First in order is to welcome my parents right in time to Easter, and show them a little bit of the east coast with a trip up to one of my favorite cities; Washington D.C. If you have never been, you definitely should go. There is just so much of America there, so much pride in all of the hard labors and sacrifices that we as America's have done and accomplished. It's nice to see so much on display and my heart warms when I think about my place in this country's history.

I don't know what else the spring holds for me this year, but whatever it is I'm sure it will hold a constant. That of friends, smiles and good times. With the spring pregnant with so much fresh start and outdoor attraction, you can't help but to feel the tinges of excitement creep into the fibers of your existence and prime you for excitement. I breath in the pollen freshly forming on the trees, and watch as the trees give birth to new life on their limbs. Warmth has arrived, baseball and swimming as it's guest and all chauffeured by her majesty spring.


It's a beautiful day for a ball game...

No comments:

Post a Comment