Thursday, September 3, 2009

Two-Spliced

We are literally in the Garden of Eden of Iraq. FOB Loyalty. Amazing chow hall food, with an over abundance of everything. There is literally fridges upon fridges of stocked food. Not too mention a dessert bar and 24 hour sandwich bar. The living is good, and easy. Other than perhaps the missions that we go on at night, all is well here.

The sad thing about all of this, I guess is all in perspective. The fact that I have the experience of living in a place like COP 763 from May to the end of August, has certainly put the appreciation of such things at a higher level. But with such an abundance of food, and drinks and everything you could imagine, it's hard to believe that only a few miles away, there is such depravity, and scourge for the boys of Delta Company. I used to be one, and like everyone else there, simply lost weight due to the horrible conditions. The constant sweating of inadequate air conditioning, along with a two meals a day that are even rationed in themselves to a half scoop of this or half scoop of that.

The problem has been recognized. The shortage of supplies, and lack of food. The rationing of Gatorade's and sodas, that are seemingly endless here, are a one at dinner there. The higher ups have recognized it, and yet nothing has been done. You might point the finger at me, and others at my level who have also recognized that and seemingly care. The only thing we can really do is send a letter to our congress man. And that's much like starting an avalanche on the top of a snow covered mountain, when you're standing at the bottom. Not a good idea.

It's sad that they have to live that way. While I'm sleeping in a soft bed, with cold air conditioning and three good meals a day, not too mention if I get hungry for a snack at any other time, I could catch midnight chow, or a sandwich throughout the day.

We started the move from the hell-hole we had been living in, but is now in limbo. We had been back to where we started this fiasco of a deployment, Loyalty. The cold air conditioning and soft beds is a stark contrast from the conditions we've been used to. Not too mention that I've eaten double as much today than I have in the previous two days. The quality of life, dramatically increased.

The reason you could still consider our move in limbo is the fact that we are staying the in transient building on Loyalty. This is not our final destination from the move at 763. Though are supposed final living spot to end this deployment, JSS Beladiyat. A very familiar place to us, considering our first six months were spent with hours of visiting and even staying at Beladiyat Police Station for a few days. And although all of this is familiar, and overall better. Just like anything, any new change, you miss what you were accustomed to. 763, no food, no A/C, no soft beds, and I kind of already miss it. But, again a curve ball has been thrown in our direction as we are now back at 763 for a short stay, before finally arriving to Beladiyat, more permanently.

In returning to a familiar area like Loyalty, I was surprised at how different things are since we left this place. Not necessarily shocked that the base has decreased almost half the size it was, and that there are hardly anyone living on it, but surprised at how different I am from the time I left. The last time we were here at Loyalty, living was April. I was around 185 lbs then. How quickly the mighty will fall. In the three months of living at 763, and the 1 month of leave, between the 4 of them combined, I've lost the weight and the strength I had. I am now around 170 lbs. and instead of my one rep max being over the 300 mark, it's now probably right around 225. Not saying that I'm in bad shape, but I'm not as physically strong or look as aesthetically pleasing looking.

The next two months here are probably going to continue to throw us curve balls. But our platoon is a strong one, and though we have our ups and downs, we will adapt and overcome. We can taste home. Smell that sweet Carolina air.


How long with them sausages?

No comments:

Post a Comment