Sunday, July 19, 2009

Changing Days, Hopefully

I looked in the mirror today after a refreshingly cold shower. I've lost weight, I don't doubt that. It's been over a month point five since I've returned to this place, the life at 763. Most of my bags are still packed since moving here from our bigger and most luxurious base that we spent our first 6 months at. There's an order to my locker that has been strategically set up to allow a quick and feverish swipe and pull-grab of everything to allow it easy access into a duffel bag.

We know that this possibly could be our permanent home for the remaining 3 and a half months, but we keep our things, ourselves, in a constant state of readiness. If we do leave here, I tried to think about what would be different, what was different for us before. The food would most certainly increase. The rooms, more private. The air conditioner, stronger. The force protection responsibility we pull here would definitely, most likely, be dropped.

That's probably the biggest one. The force protection. Over the last two months it has most likely been the pain in our sides. We don't do anything on any other day, and so force pro has become our only mission. Our only achievable objective, and easy as it is, we'd rather be doing more challenging but rewarding work. Not to mention the biggest problem with having to pull force pro, the haunting.

Being a grown man, loaded with 60 pounds of combat gear including a weapon and 210 copper headed buddies, you would think a fictitious, an aberration would not be scary. Hell the idea that we'd rather face a Allah Akbar yelling terrorist spraying an AK-47 than look out of the OP's door and possibly seeing a ghost. I've been fortunate enough to be down on our ECP lately, and haven't had to endure the pitch black walk through the top of the building where many have seen shapes, and heard unexplainable sounds. It never really scared me, but I kind of always wanted it to.

I continue to shrink, lose size and sleep. The two meals a day, and strange sleeping cycle has been hard to get accustomed to. Nothing happens, and I guess for worried hearts at home that's a good thing. We don't have much time left here as it is, hopefully we can have even less. We can at least pray for a change of scenery, or maybe we shouldn't. But at least one thing is perfectly clear if we do leave this place, I'll probably gain some wait.


"
babe its like you are in concentration camps"

No comments:

Post a Comment