Friday, January 23, 2009

Trancelike Variations of Melodic Thought

The most powerful thing in the world. Is it the nuclear bomb? Is it money? Is it sitting on the throne of a mighty kingdom? A zamboni? No, although all of those things are very powerful, the answer is Music.
The one thing music possesses over all the rest of those things is, it has the power to move you. To run alongside your emotions. Make you feel happy. Make you feel sad. Make you laugh, cry, jump, dance, sing, or feel special. It has the power to relieve you from life's realities, or pull you into them.
To me, there is nothing like putting on a pair of headphones, closing my eyes and listening to some Floyd, Zeppelin, Beethoven, or Mozart. It makes everything that is running ramped and unchecked in my head, and puts them into a shelf in the back pantry of my mind. I can forget about life for a second and let the sounds soothe and massage my soul into some kind of nirvana that no food, no words, no drug, no nothing could ever do for me.
Music can set the mood in any manner or tone. At a party is can make a crowd shake and groove. In a pillow pit it can lead you to discussing the intricacies the life. In the gym it can help you to get the bar up one more time. Before a game is can hone your concentration to it's peak. It can allow that candlelight dinner to envelope you into a world of only two. It can, in an instant, bring you to a different time and place. Some kind of time travel phenomenon that can take you back to a first kiss.
A song can add weight to your heart, or lift a weight from it. A lyric or guitar chord might be all you need to be grasped to the point of not being able to breathe, or to be able to breathe easier.
Here in Iraq I've found the need to use music as an escape from this reality. I put my head phones on whenever I lay down and listen to anything to relax and soothe me. I haven't written a poem probably since 7th grade, but I feel like trying to be artistic, so here I go...

Every night as I lay here in bed
The wear of a days work apparent on my boots tread.
I turn on the sounds for my soul
And let my emotions run dull
Relaxed in every aspect it makes me become
Allows me to feel like I'm the only one
Without the heavenly embrace of her soft touch
This worlds toll on me would show too much.

It warms me deep down in the bottom of my core
And everyday... I love you more

3 comments:

  1. when you write poems it makes me miss you even more, and question your sexuality.


    just kidding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, when i read it I said "um Gina, I might be falling in love with your bf for you"

    but then I just questioned your sexuality as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never quiestioned your sexuality. i've always known you are gay.

    ReplyDelete