Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Kettled Rest

I finally got a good night sleep. Not in the way I had hoped, but certainly in the way I knew would work and expected. Ketel One was the main contributor to my late night pass out on the couch and this morning luckily I'm still thankful. I could pursue drugs for sleep instead of this self medication. That's a scary concept, both sides. Drinking to sleep sets me up for becoming an alcoholic and dependant on the drug. Taking pills to sleep is the same risk of dependency.

The concern is there for me as well as from the ones that love me. Alcoholism doesn't really run in my family, and though it's socially accepted at work to drink as much or as often as I do, it's certainly not so in a civilian-common-sense-ran society. What does that mean for me then? I've gone countless nights without being able to sleep for more than an hour here or an hour there, but I tip back a 60 dollar tab at the bar and it's zees for hours. Self-medication.

I'm not the only one with this problem. It seems my entire platoon suffers from not being able to sleep, and while at work it's very apparent. We can barely make it to noon without long yawns and deep drooping bags under the eyes. We all have the problem, and hopefully it will go away. It's still kind of early to try and get fully adjusted back into the stateside world. I guess anyways. I thought all I was going to get from that deployment was the cancer from the electronic warfare systems we use. I never expected this.

Other than the lack of sleep, my leave has been going rather well. I stayed for a week in North Carolina to be with my girlfriend before I came home to Cali, and she went home to Wisconsin. It was a great week for me, sleeping in and relaxing. I did some Christmas shopping and tried to surprise Gina with a couple things, including a Wii. I got Jodie's subs installed in my car. Thanks Jodie. The last weekend (this past one) spent in North Carolina was in Charlotte. I had never been to Charlotte and found it very refreshing. I find that anywhere outside of Fayetteville in North Carolina is nice. The Triangle area where Gina lives is fantastic. And fortunately Charlotte was too. The downtown was reminiscint of a bigger city, and at times felt like it could be Chicago. It wasn't windy enough though.

Gina and I had a lot of fun there. We went ice skating and went to the Carolina Panthers game. Ate dinner at some nice restaraunts, and pub hopped. I hadn't been ice skating since I was a small boy, but the years of roller blading in the Southern California sun seemed to translate well when it came to lacing up out on the ice. The Panthers game wasn't much of a game after the first half, and I watched my Vikings suffer only their third loss season at the hands of a local hero here in So Cal, Matt Moore. The pubs had been nice the night before, and downtown wasn't as crowded as I thought it could, or should be on a Saturday night. Everything was in walking distance, and despite the cold it was well worth it. Gina and I ate at an upper scale restaraunt that was nearly barren. Even though I had a reservation, I certainly did not need one. Our Matt Dillon look-a-like waiter was good, and the food was even better. Some Mahi-Mahi and garlic mashed potatoes hit the spot perfect. If you're ever in Charlotte, I suggest Aquavina as a good place for a nice dinner. A little pricey, but 80 for the two of us with a couple of drinks, it was well worth it.

I'm in California now. Not a whole lot planned till after Christmas. My birthday at the races, and maybe some camping. Not looking forward to the days flying by as they have been, but having a good time despite. Lunch today with my old bosses and drinks tonight with my twin sis coming all the way down from Berk-town. Exciting the holiday season isn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment