Saturday, June 6, 2009

Leave Adornare

As I sit here back in Baghdad, I have really nothing better to do than reminisce about the previous two weeks of my life, and how truly wonderful they were. Although it's an historic date in the dates of the military, (D-Day), and though I am on the edge of my seat as I await the return to my platoon, I find it hard for my mind not to wander off into some kind of dream land where I think about the events and people who made my two weeks of vacation simply marvelous.

Originally I was supposed to be in on the Saturday of my sister's graduation. Unfortunately I was postponed until the Monday after, a full two days. It was of most certain sadness that not only did it mean that I missed my sisters graduation, but I also had two days that I could've been spending time with my girlfriend, who flew all the way from North Carolina, taken away from me. We tried to get over it in fashion, by staying in the beautiful Madonna Inn, where not only was it the first night of my leave that we could celebrate, it was also some compilation to our one year anniversary that I had narrowly missed by a week and a few days.

The room there was simply breath taking, and the pool was simply amazing. After a night and half a day there we slowly moved down the coast and back towards my home in the Valley. A couple of stops, and a flat of strawberries later, we arrived home where I was greeted by my most loving family. The days spent there were pretty good. Despite Gina going to see Conan O'brien without me, I enjoyed an afternoon with my little-big cousin and my Dad in seeing Terminator Salvation.

Sushi eating early in the week seemed to spark my interest, and so by the end of the week my Mom, Dad, girlfriend, best friend, and myself found ourselves on my Dad's boat out at Castaic Lake. My sister was supposed to have been down to join us, but she's a lamo sometimes, and decided to protest the war, and not shave her armpits. Only joking of course, but it would've been nicer if she was with us.

A couple of Dodger games, and a night at Howl concluded the week, and Monday morning I had to drop Gina off at the airport. It was another hard goodbye for our relationship, but it was an amazing week spent with her.

I spent the next week doing almost whatever spurred the moment, and had me running around with my head cut off. I helped paint the new house, and caught up with friends. Unfortunately I didn't get to see all of the ones I had wanted to see, but there is more time for them to come in December.

A lot had changed at home, which was almost overwhelming at first. There was an entirely new building on my property, and tons of people who work there everyday. My great grandpa's truck had been dismantled, and fortunately by the end of leave, was finally taken in to get painted.

Playing golf was such an escape while I was there. First playing with my Dad, bro and Adam, was a lot of fun. Then with my Dad and two Uncles was a really fun day. I've been very lucky, that everytime I've come home, I'm reminded so much of how much my family cares about each other. I really am very lucky to be in a family so close.

Of course the weeks went by way too fast. My brother was off at the academy, but found time to be able to take me to Dane Cook. It was a fun night. Eric, my best friend was able to accompany us, and we had a stellar time at the Yard House in the ever changing downtown LA. Of course drinks with Adam and Charlie late nights at the Sugar Suite, or the Norwood were always quite candid and fun. SI! Check one, SI!

But alas, I'm back to reality in the beautiful and glorious Baghdad. With less than 180 days to freedom, I can't help but have some excitement brewing in my mind, that I will soon be back with the ones I love.


Luxury, is always and option.

No comments:

Post a Comment